Tuesday, January 7, 2014

School Flag

Update:  done!  

I was commissioned by the school where we live and work to made a flag that will hang in the dining hall next to the United States and Connecticut flags.  It's a simple design which is very similar to a flag seen in a photograph of the school from the early 1900's.  We updated the font from the original block lettering to the current official font of the school.  I'd post the historical photo, but I don't think I have permission for that.  
The flag will be hung tomorrow morning.  I'm not done with it yet.  But it just wouldn't be right if I didn't stay up till 3 am to get a project done, don't you agree?
Here's what I've got so far.  I'll post more pictures of it when the flags are hung tomorrow.

The dimensions of the flag will be approximately 4x6 feet.  I printed the lettering out on a big roll of paper for the layout.  The letters were cut from nylon, interfacing and fusible webbing all layered together.  

I had to stitch the letters onto the printed layout to get the spacing correct.  Afterwards I flipped it over and ironed the letters down through the paper.

What a relief to see that the letters stayed where I wanted them to!  Now I just have to satin stitch around the letters, add two grommets to the top and bring it to the dining hall in the morning.

The Little Mermaids

I fell in love with this little pattern from a book that I borrowed from a friend.  Its called Wee Wonderfuls by Hillary Lang.  I love how the mermaids can change into a human by simply slipping off their tails.   They have super soft minkee hair, flannel "swimsuits" and a cotton head.  Their tails are made from from my quilting fabric stash.