Sunday, April 15, 2012

Corn & Black Bean Quinoa

Ingredients:
1 Tbs olive oil (it calls for 1 tsp., but please...)
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
1 1/2 cups of veg or chicken broth ( I just use a can, it's a little more than 1 1/2 c )
1 teaspoon cumin(I heap it, cause I love cumin)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (heap it)
salt & pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp. salt and a heaping 1/2 tsp. pepper)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained. (It called for 2 cans, but it just seemed like way too much.)


Directions:
Heat the oil in saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic.










Rinse quinoa (I still don't have a great method for this, I just rinse it in a bowl and use my hand to hold it back as I pour the water out).
Add quinoa and broth to pan. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, simmer for 20 (or so) minutes.





Stir in corn and beans and heat through.









Everyone really loved it. I thought you could put some shredded chicken in it too, but nutritionally it doesn't really need it.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so good--I'll bet it would be good in a wrap, too. I'm feeling hungry.

    ReplyDelete