Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dehydrated Apples


I eat way more apples if they are dried than if they are big and juicy.  Maybe it's because it's a lot easier to snack on a few bits of dried fruit throughout the day than to commit to eating the entire apple in one go.  

Apples will oxidize and turn brown unless the fruit is treated in some way.  My favorite way to treat apples is to dip them in pineapple juice.  The dried apples end up with a nice, light pineapple-y flavor to them.


Tools and ingredients needed:
apples
pineapple juice
knife
vegetable peeler
apple corer






      Peel and core apples, then slice approximately 1/4" - 3/8" thick.









      Dip and soak in pineapple juice for a minute or two.






      Place on dehydrator trays single layers.











      Dry for 4 - 12 hours at approximately 135 degrees F until fruit is leathery.








        Seal fruit in airtight containers.  I used a vacuum sealer to package mine.







      Eat and enjoy!  
      I ate an entire package of dehydrated apples trying to get a picture that I was willing to post.  Please keep the snickering to a minimum.






    1 comment:

    1. I love your pictures! And I'm just going to have to try pineapple juice next time I dehydrate apples, yum--but tell me now, did you eat a whole can of sliced pineapple, too?

      ReplyDelete