Sunday, March 18, 2012

Raw Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is a cookie dough cookie that I enjoy making for my kids and their friends. Today I made them for my wonderful nephews and my darling children. It's usually really easy, but I ran into some problems. I just happen to be visiting mom and her food processor was not working when I made these, so her Vitamix came in handy. I had to add a little water to help it mix, but, it still turned out great!



1 c. pitted dates
1 c. soaked almonds rinsed
1/2 c. soaked cashews 
3/4 c. oatmeal flakes
1 t. vanilla
dash of salt
1T. coconut oil 
1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips
a little agave/ honey/ or maple syrup to taste if desired
water if needed to help in mixing

First mix in a food processor/or high powered blender the nuts and dates until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until completely distributed. Place dough on a sheet of plastic wrap and press it into a large rectangle about 1/2 to 1 inch thick. Then cover with another plastic wrap and set it in the freezer for about 1 hour or until desired firmness. (Sometimes the cookie dough goes right from the bowl into spoons for all the kids)! Cut into blocks and serve, or use a cookie cutter and reshape the remainder of the dough. Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Well, let me see...I have the salt and vanilla and oatmeal. These look really dense and stick to your ribs, like I could grab two of these in the morning and not be hungry till ....well, who knows, but they look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val, it's like eating cookie dough when they're frozen. I love them and I feel a lot less guilt when I am eating a bit more than a couple :) I know the ingredients seem different than what you have, but, after a while my pantry changed and it is common place now. I'll make some yummy rib sticking foods for you when we get together next! I would love to meet your kids and see everyone this summer. I wonder if everyone would want to meet up in Southern Utah at a National Park for the second week in July for some camping??? or any other place? Have any ideas? Jim suggested California. :)

      Delete
  2. Ya, I'd love to meet up with everyone, and I'd love to have someone else make food for me to eat too! I'd love it if everyone wanted to meet in the black hills and see Mt. Rushmore and go to some caves, but I know that's a lot of traveling for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you made these at my house--yum, they were good, and how I loved being surrounded by 8 of my grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked these frozen best. Hey Val, I'm all for Mt. Rushmore!

    ReplyDelete